Sunday, May 1, 2011

Living with Teenage Aliens and Other Rantings from a Mom on the Edge

I was out with my girlfriends the other night and was giving them a play-by-play of some of the insanity I deal with on a daily basis raising 16, 15 and 13 year-old daughters. They asked me to write a survival guide for them...as their kids are all a few years younger than mine. I came up with the following outline for a book...and I'm making it into a blog - so anyone who joins my blog will see the writing process along the way.
I think if it as Chicken Soup for the Souls of Mothers with Teenagers.
Title:
Living with Teenage Aliens
and other Rantings from a Mom on the Edge.

Rough Draft of Chapters to come:
1. Love is Truly Blind – or I would Never have married a man with Three Daughters.
2. The Family Dinner – tales from the trough.
3. Having THE talk. (The WEEKLY talk about sex, boyfriends, dating, how to avoid the hussy label and other mind-boggling things 13-year olds know about these days.)
4. My Space, and other places you can go when you don't live under my roof
5. Math homework and other complexities of daily life.

6. She's a Little Runaway, by Bon Jovi, and other theme songs for daily life.
7. And then there was therapy.
8. Back-to-School night - What not to wear.
9. What planet are you from that you think it is OK to live this way?
10. I do not want to see your bra strap or your underwear when you are dressed – I'm pretty sure, if you thought about it, you don't want to see mine either, so why don't you get it?
11. If you listened in science class you'd know that the world revolves around the sun. It does not revolve around you, you self-absorbed little teenage twerp.
12. D.A.R.E. education - Self Medication, and other survival techniques.
13. And I quote, "When I was a Kid…"
14. And then there was more therapy…for me this time
15. "Happy" Holidays? Dealing with THREE families during the holidays. Jolly Jolly!
16. Keeping up with Teenage Pop Culture…I'm so hip it really does hurt.
17. Lets talk about Texts, Baby.
18. When did I become Mommy Dearest?


My goal is to use humor to help me survive the next 7-10 years bringing up three girls in these very technologically advanced and trying times.

No comments: